Pages

Monday, April 20, 2020

Bug Hotel

Bug Hotel

WALT: We are leaning to identify different materials and equipment needed to build a bug hotel.


Materials and Equipment List: 
  • Saw
  • Drill
  • Screws
  • Wood
  • Hammer 
  • Tea tree sticks 
  • Metal hooks
  • String 

Building My Bug Hotel
We gathered wood from around our house. We found Tea Tree, Japanese Cedar and Macrocarpa which is wood that we have collected from my Nana and Poppa’s farm.

In the top box we have hung herbs using metal hooks and string. We also put an air plant in because it doesn’t need soil to grow,  it only needs water to grow.

In the next box we have a birds nest out of our garden. Don’t worry there were no birds in it when we found it. There is also a Flax flower, Palm tree stick, Magnolia bud, and an off-cut of wood.

And finally the last two boxes have bamboo, shells, flowers, Tea Tree and Pine cones.


I enjoyed building the hotel the most.

I found it challenging trying to find things to put in the hotel.

What is your favourite thing in the hotel and why?








5 comments:

  1. Great job Kiarn! I love the different types of wood you used to create this. Cant wait to see what types of bugs move in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, on closer inspection of the picture, it would appear there is already a bug that is getting comfortable in the hotel. It's a praying mantis - zoom in and look at the very top of the hotel...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Kiarn! I am impressed with the way you thought about what to put in your bug hotel, especially the 'Air plant'. You have added a range of different things to encourage different bugs into your garden. My favourite part of your Bug Hotel is actually the whole thing. If I was a Bug I'd love to live in your Bug Hotel. Keep up the great work Kiarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Kiarn. This is such an impressive bug hotel. If I was a bug, I would want to live there forever. You have put a lot of time and effort into making your bug hotel and your explanation is excellent. I'm glad there were no birds in the nest, that may not have been good for the bugs who want to stay at your hotel. Keep up the fantastic home learning Kiarn. Well done, Ka kite, Whaea Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kiarn Its Jaymee!
    You did very well with your bug hotel. It looks very cool, maybe we should do this at home. 🐌

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a positive, thoughtful and helpful comment.